1. Favorite non-dairy milk?
Vanilla Soy Dream.
2. What are the top 3 dishes/recipes you are planning to cook?
Sometime in the next few weeks, pumpkin baked ziti (VCon), hypnosis cookie testers (for my dad), and green tomato cake.
3. Topping of choice for popcorn?
Melted EB, Turkish seasoning, and nooch
4. Most disastrous recipe/meal failure?
As a vegan I’d say an almond meal cookie tester. Those things did not work for me. And I made a soup once with red cabbage that had waaay too much salt in it.
5. Favorite pickled item?
Can I cheat and say cucumber pickles? Dill, refrigerator, sweet, garlic, doesn’t matter. Oh wait no, pickled ginger. Hands down.
6. How do you organize your recipes?
HA! Organize? I have cookbooks strewn all over along with recipes written on scraps of paper. I also have an entire folder on my computer of random recipes that will probably never get made.
7. Compost, trash, or garbage disposal?
Trash at home, compost at Nick’s. My mom won’t let me build a compost bin. It sounds like I’m 16.
8. If you were stranded on an island and could only bring 3 foods…what would they be (don’t worry about how you’ll cook them)?
Potatoes, coffee, and tofu.
9. Fondest food memory from your childhood?
Making Norwegian Christmas cookies every year. Krumkake, kringla, rosette’s, and loads of lefse.
10. Favorite vegan ice cream?
Rice Dream Carrot Cake.
11. Most loved kitchen appliance?
Marta, my Kitchenaid artisan stand mixer. But my blender is closing on, it might get a name soon.
12. Spice/herb you would die without?
Salt isn’t a spice so I will go with cumin or cinnamon.
13. Cookbook you have owned for the longest time?
Pregan: Betty Crocker’s Cookbook circa 1975. Vegan: Vegan Planet, which I’m just now starting to cook out of.
14. Favorite flavor of jam/jelly?
Apple butter or ginger preserves.
15. Favorite vegan recipe to serve to an omni friend?
Cookies or VCon lasagne
16. Seitan, tofu, or tempeh?
They all have their place but for sheer versatility I’m going with tofu.
17. Favorite meal to cook (or time of day to cook)?
Breakfast. Fo’ sho. It involves coffee and all manner of sweets. Plus it has lots of fond memories.
18. What is sitting on top of your refrigerator?
A basket full of receipts. And a box of coffee that appeared from my mom.
19. Name 3 items in your freezer without looking.
Frozen bananas, carrot sunshine muffins, tofu.
20. What’s on your grocery list?
Oatmeal, greens, peanut butter.
21. Favorite grocery store?
New Pioneer Co-op and Oneota Co-op. But since they are both at least two hours away I’m going with Wheatsfield Co-op. And HyVee if I’m not in a college town.
22. Name a recipe you’d love to veganize, but haven’t yet.
Any and all of my families Norwegian recipes. But mostly my grandma’s meatballs.
23. Food blog you read the most (besides Isa’s because I know you check it everyday). Or maybe the top 3?
FatFree Vegan, The Conscious Kitchen, Vegan Dad
24. Favorite vegan candy/chocolate?
Crystallized ginger. Or anything containing crystallized ginger.
25. Most extravagant food item purchased lately?